Permanent / Full-time
jos posting end date
September 30, 2022
The Assistant Cook plays a crucial role in:
- Provide a variety of healthy and nutritious meals for guests.
- Maintain kitchen and dining room area.
Purpose of position
Under the direction of the Administration Manager and the day-to-day supervision of the Cook, the Assistant Cook is responsible for assisting in kitchen and proving meals for guests during their time at the Centre.
Food Preparation and Planning
- Assist in planning weekly menus.
- Assist in preparing meals and snacks on a daily basis.
- Refers to Daily Prep List at the start of each shift for assigned duties.
- Assists in the preparation a variety of meats, seafood, poultry, vegetables and other food items for cooking in broilers, ovens, grills, fryers and a variety of other kitchen equipment.
- Stocks and maintains sufficient levels of food products.
- Handles, stores, labels, and rotates all products properly and in accordance to applicable laws.
- Completes opening and closing of the kitchen properly and follows the checklist.
- Maintains a sanitary and orderly work station area by washing and disinfecting kitchen area and equipment.
- Promptly reports equipment and food quality or shortage problems.
- Knows and complies consistently with our standard portion sizes, cooking methods, quality standards and kitchen rules, recipes, policies and procedures.
- Clean non-slip shoes.
- Clean apron (provided).
- Hairnet or hat must be worn (provided).
- Attends all scheduled employee meetings and brings suggestions for improvement.
Other duties and responsabilities
With the direction of the Administration Manager and the Cook the Assistant Cook performs other related duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma would be an asset.
- Specialized training in Food and Beverage would be considered an asset.
- Willingness to enroll in a training program.
- 1 year in a similar position.
- Familiarity with local country foods and how to prepare them.
- Experience in event planning would be considered an asset.
Knowledge and Skills
- Personal and professional experience in a cross-cultural setting.
- Strong ability to work independently and/or in a team.
- Ability to work outside standard office hours.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office suite of programs, including Word, Excel and Outlook would be an asset.
- Ability to read, write and speak Inuktitut as well as English are mandatory.
- Isuarsivik is undergoing a major development process that requires flexibility, creativity and adaptability.
- The incumbent must balance multiple demands and urgent requests from guests, staff and partners.
- Must be prepared to meet the personal and professional challenges associated with living in a northern, isolated community with limited resources.
Salary / Benefits
- Working conditions are based on Nunavik’s health and social services network.
- Salary will be determined depending on qualifications and experience.
- Probation period.
- Mentorship or training program available (if requirements are not met).
It is the Centre’s objective to favor and promote the employment of beneficiaries from one of the Inuit land claims agreements. Therefore, it is at the discretion of the Board to waive any of the qualification requirements and implement a training or mentoring plan if necessary.